When receiving cancer treatment, it is crucial to maintain a balanced, healthy diet to keep your body operating and fighting at its best. Some of the best foods are those with a mild flavor and lots of nutrients. In this blog we will discuss five different types of food that you should add to your diet and why they are great for recovering after chemotherapy.
1. Oatmeal– is packed with four important nutrients like carbohydrates, protein, antioxidants, and healthy fats to help your body recover. Oatmeal also has an abundance of fiber to help regulate your bowls and feeds the good bacteria in your gut which are responsible for breaking down food into nutrients, which provide us with energy.
2. Avocados – are packed with good fats, fiber, protein and is calorie dense which is a great option when you are lacking an appetite or need to manage your weight. Researchers have also suggested that avocados may help reduce the toxic side effects of chemotherapy. Avocados are also mild in flavor and soft to eat if you have mouth sores or a dry mouth.
3. Almonds and other nuts– nuts are the perfect snack on the go when receiving treatment. They contain a lot of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Be careful if you have mouth sores, instead try nut butters. Pumpkin seeds can also be a healthy snack for chemotherapy patients because they also include iron and vitamin.
4. Eggs – medium sized eggs have nearly 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat. Due to this, they may help combat tiredness because fat gives you energy and protein helps build and sustain muscle. Just as bodybuilders take protein after a strenuous workout, you too need protein to rebuild after chemotherapy to help repair any damage it may have caused to your body.
5. enterade advance oncology formula- enterade is formulated with plant-based amino acids that help to rebuild your gut after chemo. Treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation target rapidly dividing cells–that’s why they work so well to combat cancer cells. The cells that line our gastrointestinal tracts (this includes both our stomach & intestines, along with other vital organs) are also rapidly dividing. Treatments can’t necessarily distinguish between “bad” cells and “good” cells, so our GI tract unfortunately takes on a lot of damage. This damage can cause side effects like diarrhea, nausea, dehydration, fatigue, and unwanted weight loss. enterade is a clinically proven, medical food that was created by oncologist and gastroenterologists to help rebuild and protect the GI and manage the side effects of cancer treatment. enterade is very light in flavor and refreshing to help with patients who have experienced changes in their taste buds.