6 Tips For Making Your New Year’s Resolutions Stick
January 2nd, 2019
Each New Year provides us with a clean slate, an opportunity to rethink how we approach each day and how we can tackle goals that have seemed out of reach in the past. While obstacles exist for everyone, cancer patients also have added struggles ranging from undergoing treatment to managing the symptoms associated with cancer and related treatments to just not feeling their best every day.
Studies have shown that most people won’t stick with their New Year’s resolution, but you don’t have to be a statistic. Follow our top tips for setting and keeping goals that can make an impact on your life:
- Stay Positive: Having a positive attitude and staying optimistic will keep you motivated to push towards your goals. Slip ups are bound to happen, but keeping your confidence up will help you rebound and get back on track!
- Don’t Go It Alone: Share your goals with family and friends so you have a support system to motivate you throughout the year. Ask them to keep you accountable, or have a shared resolution so that you can work together to reach your target.
- Baby Steps Count: Any progress you make towards a set goal should be recognized, no matter how small! Take pride in each step that gets you closer to your goal because it all adds up.
- Make Measurable Goals: It’s important to ensure each goal can be measured, so you understand where you are in the process of achieving your goal. Breaking a goal down into mini milestones will provide small successes throughout the year that will continue to keep you motivated.
- Manage Symptoms: Symptoms of cancer and cancer treatments, such as dehydration and diarrhea, can acts as roadblocks. Use the New Year as an opportunity to speak with your doctor about options that can help manage these symptoms so that you can have more time to focus on yourself and your goals.
- Celebrate: Make sure to celebrate your progress throughout the year! Even the smallest goal or milestone on your way to a bigger goal deserves a round of applause!
From everyone at enterade, we hope you have a happy and healthy 2019!